A relatively young town, Boddington was originally gazetted in 1912. The name Boddington comes from Henry Boddington a shepherd who grazed his sheep on the banks of the Hotham River in the late 1800's. A pool in the Hotham River, which Henry frequently camped at had been named Boddington Pool by the early settlers. Henry Boddington later settled in the Great Southern Town of Wagin. European settlers first came to the district in the early 1860's. The district had several localities, Marradong, Crossman, Hotham, Camballing, Lower Williams, Quindanning etc.
Dilyan an aboriginal belonged to a tribe, which lived within the boundaries of Wandering and Williams. Dilyan travelled with explorer, Sir John Forrest and was so highly regarded that he presented him with a silver mounted and inscribed fowling piece (gun), as well as naming a spring at the Cambridge Gulf in the North-West of Western Australia after him. Dilyan, rendered sterling service on a survey expedition, led by Mr. R.S. Ranford, Dilyan's grave is on the Bannister/Marradong road approximately 5km south of Boddington, is marked by a Royal Historical Society plaque which visited Cambridge Gulf in the 1880's and marked out the town of Wyndham, as well as effecting other important surveys.
The Hotham was the locality originally settled by the Farmer family. Nearby a school was built on the banks of the Hotham River. The area is still farmed by the Farmer family but the school closed on 20th September 1920 with the coming of the new school in Boddington. The area is located at the end of Farmers Avenue, to the West of the town with the Hotham River School on Palmer Rd.
The rise of the timber industry saw the construction of the Railway Line from Dwellingup to Boddington that eventually linked with Narrogin to the east. A railway bridge was built over the upper reaches of the Murray River in 1949, then known as "Asquith Bridge", and was used for carting railway timber to the Banksiadale Sawmill.
Marradong became the centre of the district with the local Road Board being founded there in 1892. In 1961 the Marradong Road Board was renamed as Shire of Boddington. Marradong once boasted a shop, post office, hotel, church and a one roomed school. The only remaining structures are St Albans, the centenary old church, and a few older establishments. Marradong was the centre of Local Government until 1925 when a building was built in Boddington for their office. This building still stands in Johnstone St, next to the Town Hall. Marradong was settled by the Batt family.
Ranford, a small settlement 4 kilometres east of Boddington, was established in later in the 1930's as a result of the Tanin Extracts Factory. Although Ranford had a boarding house it relied on Boddington for its services.