Hotham River School
The only remaining features of this site are a huge old Blue Gum Tree and an old Pine Tree. The school is long gone. Located on the banks of the Hotham River, on Palmer Road near where Eliza & Thomas Farmer had originally settled in 1864.
The original building was built of mud bricks which were fired on or near the site. It was a single class room with one teacher. The last teacher, Arthur Sharpe, built a house nearby called 'Trentholme', after the area of England where he had came from.
The Hotham River School closed on the 20th September 1920 and then the 'new' School opened the next day. The 'new' school was built in the newly gazetted town of Boddington, which was expanding due to the coming of the railway.
1999 saw the decommissioning of the old weather board & fibre school. The school located near the centre of town overlooking Lions' Weir on the Hotham River, was first opened on 21st September 1920. This is being replaced by a new ultra modern building opening for the beginning of the year 2000 school year, with a number of its facilities being shared with the community.
The old school was originally built to meet the needs of the newly gazetted town, which was expanding due to the coming of the railway. Previously another single roomed school had served the community some 3 miles (Approx 5 km) downstream on the banks of the Hotham River on Palmer Road, near where Eliza & Thomas Farmer had originally settled in 1864. The Hotham River School closed on the 20th September 1920 and the then 'new' School opened the next day.
The first one-roomed building was clad entirely of weatherboads. It was a high walled building with a large brick chimney. This chimney was a favourite place for youngsters to bounce balls on. The architecture of this building is maintained throughout the entire complex. An original platform from the 1920's room was removed in the 1942 relocation.
Boddington's history shows a constant need for more schoolrooms. During the 1930's a second class room was built. Boddington State School as it was known, remained a 2 roomed school until 1942 when the original 1920 room was moved, extended and incorporated into the building of another classroom which forms part of the structure existing today. Further additions were made in through to the late 1950's. The distinctive front facade of the school was part of the 1948 extensions.
The old school and surrounds combine to make a unique entrance to Boddington. The original U shaped complex is ground level at the Bannister Rd frontage and is raised on wooden stumps over 2 metres high at the rear.